My name is Laura Escobar, also known as Laurie. I'm a salvadoran illustrator passionate about stories, inspired by sci-fi and fueled with music.
I started as a graphic designer a couple of years ago, and ever since my love for illustrations grew up to the point that it became my main career path. Most of my learning has been self taught; the spark of curiosity always present and pushing me to study about specific topics like color, light, composition, realism, render styles and many more, but also taking independent workshops in anatomy, matte painting and concept art.
I've been working as international freelancer for several years, experience that helped me to reinforce my "Quality over quantity" personal motto. This type of vision matched with proactiveness and the constant desire to learn is what makes me certain that high goals is not madness, it all starts by showing genuine commitment even on the smallest tasks.
As UI/UX designer I advocate for a human-centered product design from start to finish: Lead discovery sessions, stakeholder briefing, information architecture, user journey mapping, user flows, research, wireframing, high fidelity mockups and prototyping. This workflow requires close communication and collaboration with all parts involved in the product making process, including but not limited to product owners, stakeholders, project managers, solution architects, developers, QAs and direct users.
Within the UI/UX design team I've supported initiatives that will lead to grow design maturity through constant learning, skills development and process improvement, promoting frameworks, methodologies and best practices like 8pt grid, Design Sprint and Design Systems.
I've become the lead UI/UX designer for one of the most important American Professional Basketball teams competing in the NBA, working closely with their team to develop internal products that drives some of their core operations involving multiple key actors.
• Evolve and integrate multiple workflow parts into streamlined systems, with a seamless user experience that brings new value to the process and incorporates a consistent visual language.
• Design effective solutions with a flexible approach towards business goals in a timely manner, driven by effective prioritization of time-sensitive deliverables.
• Ensure ethically humane products by applying UX guidelines, patterns and well-known best practices.
• Document projects from ideation to final hand-off, providing transparent and substantial material for all parts involved to use as truthful source of information during and after the design process is completed.
• Collaborate with local and remote development teams to design and implement viable solutions regardless of time constraints.
I led the design of a wide variety of product developments, identifying the best user flow for each case, implementing user experience best practices and solving the user's pain points by focusing on human centered design principles.
I had the opportunity of incorporating Figma as the centralized design and prototyping tool, improving the time investment, developer handoff, stakeholder feedback and overall team communication, which helped ultimately to integrate efficiently the design stage into the software development process.
Remote work for a worldwide indie studio.
Props and enviroment illustrator for in-game puzzles and matte painting for the opening sequence of the game "Sherlock: The Game is On"